Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Joseph Smith Papers

I have always found it amazing as I read the scriptures or another work of revelation, that while all the material is incredibly worthwhile, there is always one particular point that resonates especially strong with me. I experienced this same thing as I studied the winter 1832-1833 revelations in The Joseph Smith Papers. These revelations are full of valuable guidance and counsel and I learned a lot from them. However, the most memorable part for me was the part that discussed that those who do not live a celestial law will not be able to abide a celestial glory, those who do not live a terrestial law will not be able to abide a terrestial glory, and those who cannot live a telestial law would not be able to abide telestial glory. 
I had heard this information before but reading it in the Joseph Smith Papers this time was a powerful experience for me. It really made me think and question if I was living a celestial law. While I try to do what is right and follow the commandments, I am certainly guilty of the common "I will be better when..." mentality that many members of the church struggle with. I find myself saying, almost subconsciously, in my everyday that "I will be more patient when I am a mother" or "I will make more time to attend the temple once I get married" or "I will take the time to serve my fellow men once this semester of school is over". This mentality is a flawed one. Life continues to move forward and continues to be busy. Endless amounts of time to spend on temple attendance, service, or scripture study never just pops up, you need to make time for them. The personal traits you will to obtain will not just arise out of thin air, you need to consciously work to develop them. 
Because of this fact, the revelation in the Joseph Smith Papers just makes sense. When we move on to the next life we will not suddenly be completely different and perfect individuals. We will retain the same personalities, desires, and goals. We will be the exact same people there are we are here, and therefore we must be living the same kind of life here that we hope to be living there. I know that I want with all my heart to obtain a celestial glory and be able to be exalted. Because of this desire, I know that I will have to live the same laws and commandments now that I will be living then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment